Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Dancin' with Mr. Brownstone

Every Lent, I give myself a pep talk regarding my (annual) "sacrifice." Knowing that I must do something to better myself and/or those around me, my mind is quickly flooded with images of my friends and family grimmicing after my abuse of coloful four-letter words. My pep talk leads to "serious" dedication and focus, which is usually abandoned after Ash Wednesday mass, when some dude cuts me off on Dodge street.

I have tried rubber bands adorning my wrists, giving those closest to me the green light to snap the bands as hard as they can after each swear. I would try a swear jar, but I don't have any money. What am I going to do, write I.O.U.s?

Right about the time I first break my lenten promise, I try to flashback in time and discover why I curse so much.

That Crazy Mr. Brownstone

I was sitting in my bedroom the first time I remember hearing the f-bomb. My mom, always encouraging my love of listening to music, bought me the brand new single by a thrashing new band, Guns 'N' Roses. "Welcome to the Jungle" was arguably the hardest, most intense song I had heard up to that point, but it was the B side to "Jungle" that threw me for a loop.

"Mr Brownstone" would never reach popular airwaves, but it will be forever engrained in my mind as the first time I heard "Mother F-bomb." I guess I knew words like that existed, but I sure as hell had never heard them at St. Pius X/St. Leo grade school. I remember knowing that the song was "bad", and if my mom got a hold of that tape, I would miss out on any more music by Axel and the boys for a long, long time.

Hide it in a different cassette case. Problem solved. Mom and Dad wouldn't expect to find "Mr. Brownstone" in my Huey Lewis and the News "Fore!" cassette case. I would always put "Brownstone" back in the "Fore!" case immediately after listening, for fear that the tape would get into authoritative hands I would have to grow up in a world without Slash and the rest of G'N'R. Plus, I would have missed out on "Patience" and the "Use Your Illusion" eras, which would have been sad for everyone involved.

Like Ozzy Said, "Don't Blame Me"

I don't blame the music. I can't -- I love music too much to attribute my problems to the songs and bands that helped shape my formative years. When I get sad or angry, I don't blame it on Kurt Cobain or Dead Prez. When I get happy, I don't thank Dave Matthews or George Clinton. I blame everyone else (that's a shock).

I crave attention, and what better way to be noticed than lace your conversations with stinging adjectives. It's not just me -- this type of behavior is everywhere. Music, movies, sports, etc. I can't help it if I want to get a word in edgewise, right? Come to think of it, maybe the use of such harsh words will eventually be drowned out by intellectual communication. It will be such a shock to hear quality conversation, people will be enamored and crave more.

Regardless, I always love hearing "Mr. Brownstone", and maybe that's the problem. Maybe, deep down in the recesses of my soul, I think "Mother F-bomb" is still as cool as it was to me when I was a 7-year-old. Maybe I listened to too many guys like Axel Rose, and not enough guys like Huey Lewis. Or maybe, people should just stop cutting me off on Dodge street.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home